!We stand with you during COVID-19 »

A Former NBA Center’s Catastrophic Accident Shines a Light on Bicycle Safety Across the Country, Including California

Statistics show that, in 2018, more than 850 people riding bicycles were killed in collisions with motor vehicles, a figure higher than any year in the previous 10 years. In 2015, there were more than 460,000 bicycle-related injuries, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Clearly, the danger bicyclists face on the road is a problem that is trending in the wrong direction. When you are hurt because a car, truck, or SUV hit your bicycle, you are almost certain to be the one who bears the brunt of the harm. As your injuries may likely be very substantial, getting everything you deserve in a lawsuit can be critical, so be sure to rely on an experienced San Mateo bicycle accident attorney to handle your case.

Over the previous decade, more than 30,000 accidents involving a bicycle and a motor vehicle have taken place just in the Bay Area. One very recent accident from outside the Bay Area has once again put bicycle safety in the spotlight.

Shawn Bradley, who played for 12 years in the National Basketball Association, suffered a catastrophic accident just one block from his home in southern Utah. As Bradley bicycled past a parked car, a driver hit him. That sent his bicycle into the parked vehicle, flipping him into the air and onto his back on the ground, according to a SI.com report.

Bradley underwent neck fusion surgery and is paralyzed as a result of the traumatic spinal cord injury he suffered in the crash.

Recovering Compensation in a Bicycle Accident Case in California

If you are injured in California because a driver hit you as you rode your bicycle, there are several very important things you need to know about the way the law works in this state. One of the most important things to know is that you do not need to have been 100% free of blame for the accident to recover compensation. In fact, you can recover something even if the accident was primarily your fault, as long as the evidence demonstrates that the vehicle driver was also negligent, and the driver’s negligence played some degree of role in causing the accident.

Even if you made negligent errors on board your bike, you can potentially obtain a very significant sum in a lawsuit. Say, for example, you were struck and permanently injured by an SUV in Redwood City as you rode your bike. You made some minor mistakes that played a role in leading to the crash. If the jury determines that you were 20% to blame, that the other driver was 80% to blame, and that you suffered $5 million in damages, then you are entitled to receive $4 million, despite your negligence. Even if you were 80% to blame, and the other driver was only 20% to blame, you would still be entitled to an award of $1 million in damages if your evidence demonstrated $5 million in total damages.

This, as noted above, is only one of the many very important factors that will impact a bicycle crash lawsuit. Many, many crucial considerations and decisions go into a fully successful case, so don’t try to go it alone. Count on the skilled San Mateo bicycle accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Galine, Frye, Fitting & Frangos to give your case the smart, diligent, and determined advocacy it deserves. To set up a free consultation with one of our helpful attorneys, contact us at 650-345-8484 or through our website.

Contact Information